Knowing the Condition in Details
- Arteries are blood vessels that carry oxygenated blood in the body.
They are everywhere from the head to the toe. Normally, the inner walls of the arteries have a smooth lining, like the water-pipes in our new house.
- Building up of plaque in the arteries (atherosclerosis), reduces the blood flow in them.
In some cases a complete blockage takes place, like the blocked pipes in our house! This givesrise to extreme pain or gangrene of the affected limb.
Clinical examination & investigation:
To confirm a blocked artery, based on symptoms and clinical findings, the doctor carries out a series of tests.
The tests are: Blood tests, arterial Doppler scan, CT angiography of the affected limb.
- In some cases, based on the percentage of the blockage, the doctor may just ask for a modification in the lifestyle.
- But in severe cases, a surgical intervention may be required. There are three surgical procedures:
- Stent placement(peripheral angioplasty)
- Surgical methods: Embolectomy, Endarterectomy
- Peripheral bypass surgery